Mission 500, a non-profit charitable organisation focusing on the security industry and dedicated to serving children and communities in severe need across the U.S, made some amazing strides this year raising funds through a series of events that were held throughout the year.
“Over the course of 2018, through the generosity of numerous corporate and individual sponsors, over 6,000 children received Mission 500 Care Packs, thousands of industry volunteers donated their time in a variety of ways, industry companies were inspired to engage in their own local initiatives and funds were raised to respond to natural disasters producing grants affecting the most vulnerable families, said Tom Nolan, Director of Strategic Partnerships for Mission 500. “We extend our sincerest gratitude to all those involved who donated their time, products and funds to help children in need, and anticipate even greater success for this great cause in 2019.”
A few highlighted Mission 500 activities over the course of 2018 included:
- Backpack Event at Crosspointe Elementary School – now in its third year, the event provided 600 backpacks filled with school supplies to children in need attending Crosspointe Elementary School in Boynton Beach, FL.
- Mission 500 Annual Softball Game – the third annual softball game raised a total of $48,000, of which part of the proceeds were donated to the FDNY Children’s Burn Camp, as well as children in severe need the South Bronx (the poorest congressional zip code in the US).
- Security 5K/2K Run/Walk at ISC West – the ninth annual staging of this event raised a whopping $113,000 from numerous corporate and individual sponsors participating in this event.
- Service Trip to Ponce, Puerto Rico – $12,000 was raised to provide two families with extensive home renovations made necessary as a result of Hurricane Maria in October 2017. 21 Industry executives travelled to PR for this service trip.
- 2018 SIA Honours Dinner at ISC East – over $7,500 was raised from this event and celebration of recognized industry leaders.
- In the hardest hit sections from Hurricane Michael in Florida, 600 children and families received compassion care packs.
- Corporate Sponsored Team Building Events – produced over 6,000 Mission 500 Care Packs over the course of 2018
- Volunteers donated over 2,000 hours of their time this year – and we applaud and thank each and every one of your efforts.
Plans are underway for the 10th annual Security 5/2K at ISC West in April 2019.
The Security 5K/2K is a joint collaboration organised by United Publications, the publisher of Security Systems News, ISC Events and Mission 500. Confirmed charter sponsors are Alarm.com, Altronix Corporation, Avigilon, Axis Communications, Bosch Security Systems, Brink’s Home Security, CMAC, COPS Monitoring, DITEK Corporation, DMP, Freeman, Galaxy Control Systems, HID Global, Hikvision, LRG Marketing Communications, Milestone Systems, and Safety Technology International.
“As 2018 comes to a close and we celebrate the holidays, it is great to look back on what we’ve accomplished at Mission 500, knowing there is so much more to achieve,” said Mr. Nolan. “Let us look ahead to 2019 to see how we can help improve the lives of children and families in need by providing them with immediate assistance and greater hope for the future.”