ADNOC Distribution’s IT Division has won the Oracle Database Administrator Excellence Award – Worldwide for Europe, Middle East and Africa Region 2013. The EMEA recognition articulates the division’s vital contribution to the company’s operations.
ADNOC Distribution markets and distributes petroleum products and services across the UAE, and is among the largest petroleum companies in the Middle East region. Due to the nature and complexity of its business, the organisation’s IT Division plays a crucial role in identifying, analysing and implementing state-of-the-art solutions that facilitate business initiatives and fulfill market expectations. The IT Division serves as a technology enabler and to a large extent determines the success of the organisation.
Ali Abdul Aziz Al-Ali, Vice-President – IT, and Awad Ahmed Ali El-Sidiq, Senior Database Administrator, received the award on the sidelines of Oracle Open World 2013 – the world’s largest technology conference that was held in San Francisco on 26 September. The gala ceremony saw the presence of several senior representatives from global heavy-weights including Yahoo, Facebook, Visa and Master Card.
Commenting on this milestone, Abdullah Salem Al Dhaheri, Chief Executive Officer, ADNOC Distribution, said: “ADNOC Distribution continues to play a dominant role in positioning the emirate of Abu Dhabi and the wider UAE as a country that prioritises the adoption of advanced technologies for achieving its ambitious economic goals in line with the recently announced Smart Government strategy. We are proud of this recognition, which reiterates our determination to be among the front-runners in today’s dynamic IT domain, even while remaining rooted to our traditional values in doing business.”
Ali Abdul Aziz Al-Ali said: “ADNOC Distribution won the coveted industry award in a closely contested competition that included submissions from more than 120 countries. A key criterion for participation in the awards mandated competing organisations to demonstrate their use of Oracle technologies and applications as an integral part of their daily operations. In walking away with top honours, we were commended for our strong technical know-how and cutting-edge experience in implementing Oracle solutions for meeting business needs in today’s dynamic marketplace.”
To date, the company’s IT Division has won several distinctive accolades from the Oracle Corporation, including: Oracle Engineered System of the Year – Middle East & Africa at GITEX 2013, Oracle Excellence Award, Oil & Gas Downstream World Wide 2012, Oracle Exadata Excellence Implementation Award, Middle East & Africa 2012, Oracle Database 11g Release 2, and the First Oil & Gas Upgrade Award 2010.
The IT Division has adopted and implemented several successful projects with most of the deployed solutions based on Oracle platforms. Some of the infrastructure and applications currently being implemented to support the organisation’s business units and simplify day-to-day activities in an effective manner include Oracle engineered systems (exadata platform) for extreme performance including the Oracle e-business suite for HRMS, financial, inventory and I-recruitment divisions; Oracle Application Server for the sales, retail, smart card and aviation systems; Oracle application server for vehicle inspection and C-store management systems; Oracle Business Intelligent for decision-making, and Oracle Database 11g R2 to support all data management across the organisation, while sustaining business continuity and ensuring disaster recovery capabilities.
ADNOC Distribution’s IT Division has achieved the following key business values using Oracle’s suite of technical software programmes.
- Enhanced the status of Oracle Database in the organisation through Enterprise Database consolidation using the Oracle Exadata Engineered System that delivers up to 20 times performance improvement across all business critical applications including sales, retail, supply chain, inventory and Visa/Master Card processing. At the same time, Oracle e-Business Suite and Oracle Business Intelligent Dashboards enabled migration and implementation that was conducted as per Oracle’s best practices.
- Today, thousands of employees and customers are benefitting from the improved performance being achieved.
- Processed securely and quickly millions of financial transactions annually using Oracle engineered system platform.
- Achieved high return of investment (ROI) for each business line by delivering extreme performance systems using the latest Exadata technology. Net result: Cutting down transaction processing time from 12 hours to 1 hour per day.
Based on the rich experience gained in the field of Oracle technology and implementation of applications, the IT Division is well-poised to become the Oracle ‘IT Centre of Excellence’ in the region through delivering the following value additions:
- Raise ADNOC Distribution’s profile and presence across all business sectors
- Become the centre of excellence for Oracle technology implementations
- Become the centre of excellence in the implementation of Oracle applications.
- Assist and support other organisations in delivering advanced IT services through sharing experience, knowledge and international best practices and benchmarks
The IT Division has defined a five-year plan that is aligned with ADNOC Distribution’s strategic planning and development objectives. Such an alignment is anticipated to contribute to the execution of several differentiating projects in the region in the years to come.